Saturday, January 26, 2013

Love and Marriage Marketing

I have a confession to make:

I am not a blogger.

But I'm a young married woman (blog about how in love we are)! With two cute dogs (blog about how cute the dogs are...oh wait...)! WITH AN ENGLISH WRITING BACKGROUND (write blogs!!!!). And we have a small budget so we like to DIY and upcycle (perfect blog material) and we eat healthy (healthily?)(BLOG ALL THE RECIPES.)

So why have I been silent since August?

Because I just visited the blog of a married woman (younger than me...) with a baby. There's a photo of her licking a huge lollipop (the woman, not the baby. One's cuter than the other.) She has a button on the sidebar that's a photo of her holding colorful balloons, smooching her husband, with the baby on the ground next to them. It says, "Complete Bliss." It's nauseatingly adorable.

You know how my brain responds to that?

"COMPLETE bliss, eh? So when he farts under the covers and it wafts up to your nose, you just inhale, and say, "MMMMM, thank you for the gift of your gas, baby"? Or when the adorable infant is crying, puking, and pooping all at once, the only thought in your mind is, "WOW, life sure is amazing and wonderful and the best thing EVER..."? Yeah. Didn't think so."

Hey, I'm a realist.

And every young married's blog is filled with all the same exhaltations of life, the universe, and everything. And while there is a mood and a time and a place for such things, these women make it look as though every day is a creative, adorable, squishy, perfect love-fest. I was perusing another blog awhile ago, and the author gushed, "We like to make forts out of blankets, we hold hands at the movies, and we eat ice cream cones" (or some other such cutesy nonsense). My first reaction? "....we don't make blanket forts... :-/" Immediately I wondered if something about our relationship was sub-par. 30 seconds later my brain said, "Screw that noise! We're awesome and we know it." We could totes make a kick-ass blanket fort if we wanted to.

But since I can't write about our blanket forts that we don't make, and I don't want to say our life is COMPLETE BLISS because, dude, it's not, I feel like less-than-ideal blogger material. The attitude I've had is, "Well if I can't make everyone gush and awwwwww and SQUEE and nearly lose their lunch, then what's the point?" These women all seem to just have it together and all figured out, and I very much...don't feel that way.

So I'll blog when I have something on my mind, like now. Because I can't act like our life is a fairytale, or share every mundane detail. I don't photograph every meal or outing or family cuddle pile. I don't WANT the whole internet to know what we do with our days off together, and the internet doesn't care, anyways. I don't need to talk us up every day in my need to convince you how in love we are. Hang out with us and you'll know.

I was never one of those girls who doodled my own name over all my notebooks in school. I think those girls grow up to write blogs like the ones I'm running into (with varying grammatical correctness, I might add...), while I'm just over here like, "Todaaaaaaaaaay...wasaday. I'll tell you when something important happens."

No comments:

Post a Comment